Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Francisco"

So, I'm guilty of using the internet as means to a dating end. Despite my lack of success, I continue to "put myself out there" complete with what I like to think is a funny, endearing and charming profile and Match approved photos. I don't think my standards are ridiculously high, is it that wrong to expect a man to know the difference between "your" and "you're?" To be actually funny instead of a sarcastic wiseass who thinks it's amusing to tell you he has HIV after you break up with him? (He didn't, and don't worry, I'll discuss that dumbass in his own entry). So when "Francisco" sent me an email, followed by an instant message I was pleasantly surprised when he was both literate and hilarious . I actually laughed out loud from his first message on. We exchanged witty banter. We flirted. We made arrangements to meet the next day (What? I work fast). He was half-Asian, half-Italian which intrigued me (I might have an unhealthy obsession with the Gosselin children of Jon & Kate Plus 8 fame) and if I'm honest, half-Italian, half-Anything is usually my type.
We met the following day at a chain restaurant in my town. I dressed for a date (jeans, nice top, some sort of jewelry) and he showed up in sweat pants. Hello, first problem. Really? Sweatpants? I'm all for casual but christ, on a first date? Whatever, clothes aside he had a cute face and I guess you could call me a face-ist (is that a word? It is now.) A little on the short side for me (I'm 5'7) but hey, he could be my future husband! Am I really going to split hairs because my legs were longer than his? Of course not!
Lunch began. And unfortunately he was not nearly (read: not at all) as funny as he was while instant messaging me the night before. I chalked it up to being nervous. Apparently I'm as charming in real life as I am on the interweb.
*Interruption*
A good friend of mine created what we call:
"Maggie's* Rules for Dating (because sometimes we all forget)" They are as follows:
1. Clearly you should meet somewhere public for the first 2 dates and not:
2. get in his car
3. drive out of state
4. go to a hotel and/or apartment
5. take off clothing
6. get wasted
7. see "he's not a murderer" and do any of the above

I may or may not have done all the above at some point with various mistakes. Hence, mistake.

Anyway, after a lack-luster lunch (where this boy, who had what I refer to as a "Retired Athlete's" physique, barely ate) I made the mistake of getting in his car (breaking rule number 2) and driving to the beach (rule number 3). I'm enticed by the promise of a shorehouse, what can I say?

After the impromptu beach visit he dropped me off. Despite being 3 years my senior (and I was 25 at the time) he giggled nervously when it came time for "The Kiss." Ugh. Can I please express my distaste for grown men who giggle? He even laughed while kissing me. Ugh again. I get grossed out just thinking about it.

So, despite having been bored for the majority of the date, I agreed to go out with him again figuring, hey, maybe he was just nervous. Give the guy a chance. My job allows for freedom during the day so I met him at a mall in the area. Sweatpants day 2. Boring date day 2. Bad kissing day 2. And still, I agreed to yet another date. (Why self? Why????) After another equally blahhh date I finally made the phone call to end it. Here comes the CrAzY we've all been waiting for. Having regaled Francisco with tales of hating the elliptical and loving The Office, this guy tells me, "I downloaded episodes of The Office for you on an iPod. I know you hate cardio and this should get you through it." I said, "Wow, so nice of you but I have a 2nd Generation Nano, and I can't watch shows on it." To which he replied, "Oh, I know. I meant I bought you an iPod and put episodes on it for you. It's even your favorite color!" WHAT? You bought me a ridiculously expensive gift in my favorite hue and loaded it with episodes of Jim Halpert and his sexy self?????? WHO DOES THAT after dating someone for a WEEK????? CrAzY people, that's who. Knowing I had to refuse this fantastic gift (who wants to owe a CrAzY anything? Not this girl) I sadly informed Francisco that while his heart was in the right place, mine unfortunately was not in the same area. Luckily, he took the news well enough and I haven't been bothered since. That iPod would have been pretty awesome though.

No comments:

Post a Comment